Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What is The Truth? (Final Part)


“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." – John 8:32

In part 1, we learned that the truth is naked, but the lies and deceits by us and by others keep it hidden from plain view. It is simple, yet our fears, wrong beliefs, prejudices and biases make it difficult for us to see it.

In part 2, we learned that the truth is absolute. It doesn’t change over time. It is not dependent on us; it doesn’t sway to the direction we want to go. Therefore, it is important for us to find out if our reality aligns with the truth.

In part 3, we learned that the truth is usually bigger that our ability to perceive. No one can tell exactly what the future will be – yes we can make a guess or projection, but that’s it. But there is a way for us to be assured of the future without actually perceiving it all.
 
In part 4, we learned that there are physical and spiritual truths, and that for us to flourish we must know and obey both truths specially those governing the spiritual realm since we are engaged in a spiritual battle daily. For us to be victorious, and navigate our way towards the right path, we have to read The Book.

In this final part, I will touch on the power of the truth.

When I was in grade 5, I had terror teacher. She was around 40 to 50-year old, dark brown-skinned, chubby and taller than any of us. Everybody was terrified of her specially me. Why?

First, she was a math teacher. There was something about math that quickened my heartbeat. Maybe because I still employed all my fingers and toes to add and subtract, and I still wrote a lot of sticks on a scratch paper to help me multiply and divide numbers. My only consolation then was that I wasn’t alone.

Second, she wore a long dark green skirt that did not only serve as her lower uniform, but also as a dungeon for those unlucky students who got called to do a board work but failed. Yes, she would literally push an ‘unlucky’ student into the inside of her skirt – I once saw my best friend disappeared in there for a few seconds after he made a mistake in his board work. It was scary. I couldn't imagine myself going down there.

So you can imagine my greatest fear in grade 5. I was terrified. I was miserable. Because I was dumb in math.

Fast forward six years later. I was already a freshman in an engineering course. I was vibrant. I was having the time of life; I was so happy. Because I became good at math and my teachers recognized me it.

What happened between my grade 5, and freshman year in college? Did I drink a ‘math’ potion or did I take brain-enhancing vitamins or did I have a brain transplant? (Yes, the difference was that BIG.)

The answer to those questions is of course no. But I can give you three reasons to my dramatic change.

First, I found a good reason to study math; I wanted a better future and a profession in the field of engineering was my chosen ticket.

Second, I had a teacher who helped me understand math. Plus my math teachers in college were great teachers.

Third, I studied really hard.

Now I can say that the main reason why I was terrified and miserable in my ‘terror’ teacher’s class was because I hadn't learned some crucial lessons math. There were so many learning gaps that I couldn’t grasp and appreciate her lessons. I missed out some truths.

Are you terrified with the future? Is your life miserable right now?

Maybe you have learning gaps in the subject called Life Living. Maybe you haven’t learned yet those lessons that could have helped you avoid the mess you are in right now. Maybe you're missing out some crucial truths in life.

I didn't do well in math until my learning gaps were filled in. Unless the void in your life is filled in by truths that comes from our Creator, then you will not have peace and joy in your heart. Like the grade 5 version of me, you will be afraid, miserable, and uncertain of what will happen to you or your love ones. And oftentimes without you knowing why.

As the Holy Bible has said, the truth is that it will set you free from the fear, misery and uncertainty of life so that you can start living, instead of dying.

PS: Special thanks to those who followed me and supported me in this series, What is the Truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment