Tuesday, July 19, 2011

GIANT DUST STORM IN PHOENIX AREA

So Jesus said to them, “Well, then, pay to the Emperor what belongs to the Emperor, and pay to God what belongs to God.” When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left him and went away.   – Matthew 22:21~22

A giant wall of dust rolled through the Phoenix area last Monday. It was so high it reached 900m and created winds of 40 to 48 kmh, with gusts of up to 64kmh according to the National Weather Service. Based on the report I read in the web, the visibility was down to less than 400m in some areas.

When I saw the picture of the long line of cars before the ominous haboob, I got mixed feelings – don’t blame me, I haven’t seen one in my entire life. I was relieved for those drivers who were leaving the giant dust wall, and scared for those drivers whose car were heading directly to it. I can only empathize with the latter; they knew that what they were about to enter was dangerous, but they have to get to their next destination.

Isn’t our life’s journey very much like this? We plow through life jumping from one appointment to another, from one task to the next in our to do list. As a result, we get used to our daily routine and put on hold our spiritual growth in favor of economic progress until a giant dust storm snaps us out of our trance.

For two months I cannot make myself write for the Daily Snacks. There were many reasons I can enumerate, but I can sum it up in two words, dust storm. But God was so good because that period of low visibility was not solely meant to make me suffer, but really to teach me a very important lesson which I want to share to you today.

“The moment that I (you) do not like to pray is really the time that I (you) need to pray for at this moment the enemy is given a measure of control over my (your) feelings to tempt me (you) to abandon my (our) God.” 

Loving God is not about following a wonderful feeling; it’s about making the decision to come to Him even if the feeling is not there. And here’s the surprising part: afterward, out of this decision comes a wonderful feeling.

When it hit me, I felt like the Jews in the passage above; I was amazed with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment